The Bayerische Bahnhof in Leipzig, which opened in 1844, provided the impetus for the metropolitan integration of the former Petersvorstadt. Today, this district borders directly on the city center to the south. The station was still used for regional traffic until 2001. With the commissioning of the City Tunnel in December 2013, the former railroad areas were freed up for contemporary development in line with current requirements. The highly mobile quarter with its excellent transport links will become a new urban district.
The gateway to the urban space
Bavarian Railway Station Leipzig
The Portikus / Bayerischer Platz area (sub-area 1) will regain its historic cubature. To this end, the original arrival hall, which was destroyed during the war, will be restored to mirror the existing departure hall in terms of monument preservation. The original station concourse is to be rebuilt in an adapted form. A high point on the side facing Straße des 18. Oktober is intended to complement the ensemble and thus complete the planning of Straße des 18. Oktober.
From here, a new district is developing in the south of Leipzig, around ten minutes’ walk from the city center, with space for living, working, leisure and recreation and with a new district park at its heart.
Area (gross floor area): approx. 20,500 m² Start of construction planned: 2025 A project of: Stadtbau AG